LEVERAGE THE ROLE OF YOUR SUPERVISORS AND TEAM LEADERS TO INCREASE PRODUCTIVITY, IMPROVE MORALE, AND REDUCE TRAINING TIME
Training Within Industry (TWI) is a time-tested workforce training system that allowed the US to quickly upskill our workforce in World War II. It is as relevant and effective today as it was then, and it is an integral part of Impact Washington’s Workforce Solutions System approach and offerings.
Download COURSE One-Sheet
TWI TRAINING: CORNERSTONE OF A LEAN CULUTRE
Each training course can be delivered as a stand-alone program. But best practice wraps each foundational training within a systemic approach to developing your workforce skills and implementing your performance excellence efforts.
Any manufacturer interested in a more effective way of training new and existing workers - and that continuous improvement efforts are properly implemented and sustained - will value these simple but effective methods. By embedding TWI as a core element of your operational strategy, your organization will:
- Generate cooperation and positive employee relations
- Teach supervisors how to quickly and correctly train employees ✓ Establish and maintain standardized work
- Improve methods
- Solve problems efficiently and effectively
- Create a safe work environment
Integrated with other Workforce Solutions offerings and strategies, TWI can deliver a people- focused training and development system that can be embedded in your workplace culture to deliver consistent results.
WHY THE TWI TRAINING METHOD IS EFFECTIVE:
Your people become involved and feel appreciated; their performance and emotional commitment takes productivity to new heights. Through TWI training, supervisors learn to instruct, improve methods and lead people effectively.
LEARN BY DOING
The TWI training method emphasizes step-by-step instruction, practice and coaching. Learners aren’t just observers, they are doers.
The expertise your team learns sticks with them, leading to process consistency, stability and better, more efficient teamwork.
ALIGNED WITH GOALS
Before any training begins, we work with you to understand what you need to accomplish and set target metrics accordingly.
- 50-90% less time for upskill training to proficiency
- 25% reduction in non-value-added work
- Standard Work established
- Better employee retention, morale and cooperation
- Higher labor efficiency - and a more flexible workforce
- Improved safety culture
TWI FOCUSES ON BUILDING SUPERVISORS’ KNOWLEDGE BASES
Competency in two general areas – knowledge and skill – determine the effectiveness of the supervisor. TWI focuses on building supervisors’ knowledge bases so they can raise their employees’ skill levels. TWI offers four programs to build supervisor and employee skills:
Job Instruction (JI) Training Instructs supervisors how to effectively and efficiently train employees to do a job correctly, safely and conscientiously
Job Relations (JR) Training Teaches supervisors how to develop and maintain good employee relations
Job Safety (JS) Training Teaches supervisors how to engage employees in identifying potential safety hazards and eliminating them.
Job Methods (JM) Training Shows supervisors how to continuously improve the way jobs are done
Each of our Training Within Industry (TWI) courses is structured in the same way:
- Five two-hour sessions take place over five consecutive days, with time for delivery and coaching conducted on-site to minimize time away from work.
- Class size is 8 – 10 participants (team, cell, group leaders, etc.)
- In the first session of each course, the trainer presents a real-world problem that everyone can easily relate to and shows the poor ways in which these problems are usually handled in the workplace.
- The TWI “4-Step Method” - Preparation, Application, Presentation and Testing - is introduced to show how participants can handle such problems more effectively to gain better results. The first two sessions focus on learning the methods.
- The remaining course time is given to participant presentation of actual and current problems.
- TWI “learn by doing” methodology requires participants to put what they learned in class immediately to use in the workplace.
Follow-up coaching in the methods is strongly recommended to keep the training and continuous improvement efforts on track. This coaching is wrapped into Impact Washington Workforce Solutions People Systems’ supporting training and consulting.
TWI programs clearly and simply teach essential skills for supervisors, team leaders and anyone who directs the work of others. Upon completion and implementation, your leaders will be more effective in training efficiently, leading teams, deploying continuous improvement methodology, and developing a cooperative safety culture.
Contact us today.